Thursday, February 17, 2011

Our Natural Light People Photography Workshops

Just a few images from last Saturday's workshop with Roy and Kelly Jean which once again manifest my love for a long lens with a wide aperture. In this case, I used the Tamron 70-200 f2.8. This wonderful lens is less than half the price of the Nikon or Canon equivalents and yet proves its worth in its ability to really capture a sharp image. I am not a lens snob, using Nikon lenses because I have a Nikon camera. I love Nikon lenses and I have my share of them. But I have others also, most of which are Tamron - and I love them. I will use whatever works, whatever I have on hand, whatever lets me get the picture. In this case, it happened to be my Tamron 70-200.









5 comments:

John Mills said...

Shelton, DPReview describes this Tamron lens as a "flawed gem". Flawed because the focus system lets it down. Autofocus is slow, but it sometimes misses focus altogether. Ever had a problem?

Great shots by the way!

Shelton Muller said...

If it has one flaw, John, it is that. It is a very sharp lens, but it does hunt a little sometimes. This is difficult when, like me, you enjoy using the f2.8 aperture for minimal depth of field.
I haven't had too many issues with it, but it can happen.

robvanelven said...

Hey, John asked MY question! I was also considering this lens and was not so sure after reading the dpreview info about the autofocus.
I need all the help I can get in that area, with my zoom zoom kids.
Nothing wrong with the glass, and in the right hands, it obviously produces stunning images!

And now for something completely different. The comment section shows up as white text on white background in my browser. Not sure if it is something on my end, but just thought to let you know.

robvanelven said...

I had the same questions as John. Also noticed the price .. and then the dpreview info. I need all the help I can get with autofocus, so might have to try to rent this one first.
Clearly nothing wrong with the glass, in capable hands. Wonderful portraits.

Julie said...

Great shots Shelton, I am inspired to try doing some minimal depth of field shots now.

The Life, Times and Images of photographer, Shelton Muller

Images on this blog are copyright Shelton Muller